Time off for Mom
Time off for Mom
Our goal is to provide respite to young families of 2-5 years old and build a solid and positive foundation for each child.
We aim to develop the physical, social, emotional, and cognitive development of the child by :
•Encouraging learning to play both independently and in groups;
•Providing experiences that allow the child to build a positive self-esteem and to boosting autonomy;
•Easing separation for school readiness;
•Encouraging sharing and cooperation;
•Facilitating a plurilingual reading program;
•Building awareness of community resources;
•Offering one freshly cooked hot meal.
•Newly landed immigrants
Number of families reached this year: 13
Number of kids who attended the program: 17
Number of volunteers: 6
Women on The Rise (WOR) has developed a unique Early Childhood Education program which benefits the needs of the children and the mothers in a holistic manner
Smart Start – Early Education Program:
Women on The Rise (WOR) have developed a unique Early Childhood Education program which benefits the needs of the children and the mothers in a holistic manner. Our teaching practices encourage curiosity, develop autonomy and expose the children to new wonders of the world in a playful manner. Our curriculum is based on Quebec’s Joeux C’est Magique Program, a curriculum which emphasizes learning through play and is a popular education guidance tool used in daycares across Quebec and Ontario. As educators we have adapted our curriculum to apply to our multi-age classroom which is organized to stimulate the natural diversity within the group. Our objectives in this type of environment is to provide a place where children are free to explore different learning opportunities, develop social skills, explore their emotions, and securely separate from their parents. Using an evaluative tool, we work on the individual needs of each child to ensure a positive and successful transition into preschool or kindergarten.
With a daily average of 6 children and an outstanding 18 children to visit the classroom throughout the year, WOR’s ECE program is proving to be a beneficial success to our organization with plenty of room for growth.
Workshops are essential to educators to keep ideas fresh and stimulating. This year we received the opportunity to participate in various educational workshops.
• Implementing French in an Allophone settings
• Strengthening Families
• Communicating with parents
• Project Contact: Mirelle would come and read to the mothers and children in French.
• Little Buda: A volunteer Yoga enthusiast, Brigitte Skeene taught yoga to the children in a fun child friendly way.
• Music with Anne-Marie: Once a week a volunteer comes to sing and teach the children Rhythm and notes
This program provides nutritious meals that serve 40 families.
Nutrition Counts is a pre-employability program. Twice a week four mothers are assigned to prepare the meals. This program provides a nutritious meals that serves 40 families. The goal of the program has two folds; it teaches the mothers how to prepare nutritious meals for their families on a limited budget. It also allows the mothers to develop skills by learning how to work as a team, cook for a large group, prepares them for employment and good work ethics.
Preparation of meals: Once a week fresh food is purchased from local food stores.The mothers meet with Giffonne ( parent animator) once a week to discuss menus.
• The weekly flyers are reviewed for good deals.
• Once a month the mothers take turn introducing new fruits & vegetables to the group.
• In order to reach a wider diversified group we also cook Halal chicken and gluten free meals.
Our partnerships & funding: Ville de Montreal (Ville-MSSS 2016-2017).
• Generation Foundation: Once a month we receive snack & food for the families.
• Moisson Montreal: Enhances the Nutrition Counts Program and has allowed us to do food distribution once per month. This year we prepared 220 baskets.
Through donations we are able to help allow families the opportunity to take full advantage of some of the resources that are available.